Walking Tour 2
1.0 Miles Round Trip ~ Handicap Accessible
Parking is available on some streets and on the
North side of Richard’s Ave. & Senior Center on Elm St.
Download Brochure Page 1|2
Press Release >
*Items in bold face are on the State and National Register of Historic Buildings.
3769 Main Street
Starting on the north side of Richards Avenue (Gulf Gas Station), heading north on Main Street. Includes both sides of street.
3772 Lavine building. Had been built as a factory, now apartment house.
3785 3875 c.1840 The Pillars, previously the Elms. Built by Col. Thomas Gray.
3802 c.1867 St. Cecilia’s Rectory. Neo-Classical Italianate. Formerly Burhans private bank.
3804 c.1875 St. Cecilia's Church
3797 Emerson Town Hall, built in 1965.
At the top of the hill behind it sat Burhans Mansion which had been built in 1865 from stone quarried from Hackensack Mountain.
3806 The Jaracz Hall at St. Cecilia's Church - Vernacular
3809 c.1880 Alexander Baker Funeral Home, formerly the McCarthy's Tourist Home. Original building Italiante.
3816 c.1830 Greek Revival 2-story Front Gable. Among most intact. E.W. Howard Building.
2-4 Stewart Farrar Street c.1899 Victorian style Manse & c.1836 Church. Originally Gothic Revival, altered to Queen Anne style. Presbyterian Church. The original 1888 organ still works.
3822 c.1850 Italiante style. Season’s B&B includes a late 19th Century barn. Built by E.W. Howard for son Daniel.
3826 c.1830 Greek Revival with Second Empire Tower. Emerson House B&B. Includes a large late 19th century barn. Built for Civil War Col. Samuel T. Richards.
3827 Stewart's Shops - LOST Previously c.1840 Greek Revival known as the Cunningham House. Another building on this property was moved to corner of Library & Milton Avenues.
3831 c.1880 Greek Revival with Victorian entrance. Abanakee Wellness Center. Also a rear outbuilding.
3835 c.1870 2-story vernacular L-shaped house.
3836 Tops, Dollar Store & Subway. LOST – Built by Pelatiah Richards, c.1932. Later became Gilchrist Manor.
3839 c.1830 Greek Revival – Russell House.
3847 c.1870 Victorian with Italianate dominating features. Miles Thomas House. Now Senior Citizen Building, owned by the Town of Warrensburg.
3850 Baptist Church LOST - Original 1876
3852 TD Bank North. Built in 1954 as an Atlantic Service Station.
3853 c.1927 Colonial Revival. Glens Falls National Bank Originally Emerson National Bank.
3856 Warrensburg Laundry and H&R Block.
3857 Insurance Building. Former office of H. Reoux.
3861 c.1860 Vernacular commercial building, originally Emerald Pasko’s store.
3864 Rite Aid. LOST –Site of Adirondack House built 1825 and later Colonial Arms.
3867 c.1938 or 1929 Colonial Revival Bandstand/Floyd Bennett Park. Floyd Bennett navigated Admiral Byrd on the first flight to the North Pole.
At five corners turn left on to Elm Street
66 c.1885 Vernacular Victorian period, half-timbered. Lockwood Residence.
58 c.1899 LOST. Classical Revival Porch. Warrensburg News Office
56 c.1880 Victorian folk with cross gabled design, 2-story residence. Porch is a more recent addition.
54 c.1880 Victorian period detailing. Livingston building.
52 c.1880 1 ½-story Victorian Cross Gabled Design.
51 LOST - Former Barn to Miles Thomas House
50 c.1905 reflecting Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. Includes outbuilding at the rear of property. Built by Frank Hasting
46 Ranch house. LOST c.1901 Large Queen Anne shingle style built by Louis Weinman for his daughter and son-in-law Isaac Hart Joseph.
44 c.1905 Queen Anne Free Classic. Known as the Dr. Cunningham House.
42 c.1905 Queen Anne Spindle. Dickinson House, built by Jim Hall. Includes a small outbuilding.
43 c.1920 Bungalow style, known as G.W. Dickenson House.
41 c.1920 Bungalow style residence. Includes a rear outbuilding.
39 LOST – Site of original Warrensburgh Academy c.1854.
36 c.1900 Richards Library. Colonial Revival. Native Granite. Note: addition to the rear was not included. The library was paid for by Richards sisters Clara and Mary.
32 c.1915 Queen Anne Vernacular 2 story wood frame residence.
28 c.1850 2 story wood frame. Built by Burhans, Gray & Co.
27 c.1900 Queen Anne Vernacular. Champlain Stone. Note: The addition on the south was not included. Includes an outbuilding in the rear.
26 c.1850 Greek Revival workers cottage. Built by Burhans, Gray & Co.
24 Elm c.1850 Greek Revival workers cottage. Built by Burhans, Gray & Co.
19 c.1870's Carpenter Gothic.
Burhans Guest House.
18 c.1934 Firehouse. The Fire Company started in 1921 with 15 Charter members.
17 Pine Tree Lane
Burhans Stable and Garage
8 c.1880 Residence - Vernacular 2-story side gable, stone foundation.
7 c.1860 French Second Empire. The Elms Caretaker cottage.
4 c.1869 Vernacular 1 ½ story wood frame .
2 c.1840 Italianate Commercial. Riverside Gallery. In 1918 it became Sturdevan’s Bakery.
1-LOST – Osborne Store, Barn is all that is left.
Left on Richards Ave. - Back to Main