Railroad Branch to Warrensburgh In January of 1905, the Delaware and Hudson Railroad contracted with Hart & Sons to build a branch from Thurman Station to the hamlet of Warrensburg. The first train to run over the new branch was on December 2, 1905. The branch was about three and a half miles long, crossing the Hudson River over a single-span and a double-span truss bridge. A siding about halfway went to the Schroon River Pulp & Paper Mill. The line also serviced D. E. Pasco & Sons Feed and Coal, A. C. Emerson Company lumber, coal and grain and the Empire Shirt Company. The bulk of business utilized by the branch was carrying freight and providing an outlet for a large quantity of shirts, shirtwaists, men's pants, paper and pulp, which before then had been drawn to Thurman by teams of horses. It would also bring in large quantities of grain, coal and lumber to the hamlet. The branch was abandoned in 1981. A Delaware & Hudson Railroad General Order stated, “Effective at once: that portion of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad referred to as the Warrensburg Branch is eliminated.” Following that, the crossties and rails were removed by a salvage company from Pennsylvania and sold. The entire length was sold to adjacent property owners.
Railway Express Agency - During World War I, the United States Railway Administration (USRA) took over the nation's railroads. Under the USRA, the four major express companies (Adams Express Company, Southern Express Company, American Express Company and Wells Fargo) and three minor ones were consolidated as American Railway Express, Inc. In March 1929, the assets and operations of American Railway Express Inc. were transferred to Railway Express Agency (REA). REA was owned by 86 railroads in proportion to the express traffic on their lines - no one railroad or group of railroads had control of the agency. Lester Love and his wife were agents in Warrensburg from 1909 until 1953. From 1927-30 the office was located in the Straight Block (Wills) before moving to the Love's home at 6 Mountain Ave. Lewis Crandall took over the service in 1954.