The King House (125 Main Street)
This home was built about 1832, by Peletiah Richards, prominent merchant, who arrived in Warrensburgh in 1802. The house was built on land originally owned by Kitchell Bishop, another early settler of the area. It is Southern Colonial in style, History states that Mr. Richards made a busienss trip to Virginia, was greatly impressed with Thomas Jefferson's honme at Monticello, and, upon his return to Warrensburgh, send a local builder to see and copy this style.
Mr. Richard's daughter, Minerva, married Hesden King, teacher in Warrensburgh Academy. On of their six children, Fred W. Kind, married Minerva Woodward, daughyer of the Honorable Joseph Woodward. They, with their daughters, were the last of their family to won and occupy this gracious old landmark.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail
The King House