The Church of the Holy Cross (57 Main Street)
The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1864 by local builder, Albert Alden, decendant of the famous John and Priscilla Alden. Stone for its construction was quarried from nearby Hackensack Mountain.
In 1865, the church tower and porch were added and, upon completion of the tower, a bell weighing 627 pounds was presented to the parish by Colonel Burhans, church warden. The one-manual tracker organ, installed in 1866, was built for the church by Messrs. Hall and LaBaugh, of New York City. The organ has been used, exclusively and continuously, for church services since that time. In preparation for the church's centenary celebration in 1966, the organ was completely restored through the generosity of Mrs. E. M. P. Magee. At this time a mixture stop was added which adds greatly to the church festival music.
The parish house and rectory were built in 1886, the cloister added in 1911. Soon after this, two wrought iron Gothic lamps were placed at the entrance to the church. In 1949, seven new stained glass windows were installed and four more added in 1966. A shrine to Our Lady of Walsingham was dedicated in 1971.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail
Church of the Holy Cross