Agricultural Hotel - In 1888 Henry Ashe and his father James purchased 260 acres and a six-room boarding house built in 1836, presumably from Walter Baker, operator of the Baker House adjacent to the fairgrounds. By 1906, after making many additions and improvements, they changed the name to the Agricultural Hotel, likely because it was adjacent to the fairgrounds where the Warren County Agricultural Society held its annual fair. (The last County fair held there was in 1929.) Rumor has it that Teddy Roosevelt and his staff stayed Agricultural Hotel, c. 1890, with staff turned out. (J. Hastings collection. ) there. In October of 1922, a radiotelephone installed in the hotel allowed the citizens of Warrensburg to hear the World Series for the first time. After Maurice Ashe inherited the hotel from his father Henry, it became Ashe's Hotel. Maurice died in 1972 leaving the property to Goldy Hitchock, marking the end of an eighty-four year family ownership. In 1987, after several owners including James and Claire O'Neill, John and Bob Abbale purchased the property and it continues under their ownership. It is believed to be the longest continually operating hotel establishment in New York State.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail||