This contributing, c.1850 stone commercial block, historically known as “The Woodward Block,” is a 2-story rectangular structure with a stone foundation, 1/1 sash, boxed cornices, mansard roof, original cornice brackets and dormers. Having been raised an additional story in the late-nineteenth century, the building was originally an Italianate-influenced structure with a 1-story, front entry porch and 2/2 sash. Despite later nineteenth and twentieth century modifications, this building continues to recall the historic commercial development of Warrensburgh.
The Woodward Block, the large stone building on the corner of Main and Hudson streets, was originally a one-and-a-half story building. Built by Joseph W. Woodward in 1840, the stone for the building was quarried on Hackensack Mountain. The original building was constructed by Peter Buell with a second story added by Albert Alden. It was first used for general merchandizing by Albert and Lemuel Woodward under the title of A. J. Woodward and Company. Later, M. M. Noxon took over the business and ran a general store there. For many years the Post Office was located on the first floor and prior to 1941, an A & P Store and Scott Smith’s real estate office were also located on the first level. A porch extended across the entire front of the building. There was a small park in front, which for a time included a fountain. (See McNutt.) Over the years, the building housed a telegraph office, jewelry store, insurance office, barber shop and, most recently, auto service station. The second story served as the Masonic Lodge until their building was erected on Main Street. The third floor, within a mansard roof, was added by James Emerson and used as a social club. The building also served as the first home of the Warrensburgh News. Recent use of both upper floors was for apartments. Around 1941 the park was eliminated and the bottom floor was altered to accommodate a Shell Service Station. It was first operated by Andrew Sallans, then Dick Beswick took it over. Subsequent owners were Dick Terhune and Terry Vernum. The pumps were eliminated, in favor of repairs only. (See Dick's Shell Service Station.)
Dick's Shell Service Station was located in the stone Woodward Block at the intersection of Hudson and Main streets. In August of 1947 Rich-ard Beswick took over the service station operated by Andrew Sallans and continued with it until the Fall of 1975. (Four years later Beswick ran for Town Councilman and served in that position for almost 16 years. He declined to run for a fifth term but died before completing his fourth term, at the age of 82.) Around 1980 Dick Terhune, who had operated a Shell station for many years near Exit 23, took over the service station, and in 1986 Terry Vernum assumed the operation. The gas pumps were removed during the 1980s with the business providing only auto service. Another operator followed Vernum but the building, at this writing, remains vacant.
The Woodward Block (Corner of Main and Hudson Streets) ~by Marie Fisher
The large stone building, across from the bandstand, separating Main Street from Hudson Street, is well over one hundred-fifty years old. The original structure was one and one-half stories. The building was raided another story by Peter Bewel, before 1850.
The first home of the Warrensburgh News was in this building. At that time, a porch extended across the entire front, and a small, triangular plot of grass served as a community park, complete with flagpole, cannon, and public drinking fountain. The water fountain, gift of Randolph McNutt, was created to serve the needs of all of God's creatures - man, bird, beast. There was a low-to-the-ground reservoir for the purpose of quenching even the smallest-if-dog's thirsts; a middle-height fountain for the thirsty passer-by and a higher section suitable for birds.
This building has, over the years, housed a telegraph office, the post office, a jewelry store, an insurance business, and an upper floor served as lodge rooms for the local order of the Masons.