Gilchrist Manor, previously known as the King House, was built by Pelatiah Richards, circa 1832. In May 1941 it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Paul Gilchrist from the heirs of Frederick W. King (and descendants of Pelatiah), Mrs. M. P. Willett and Mrs. Charles Osborne. The Gilchrists operated a guest house with cabins, and later added a motel behind. The property was sold and in 1976 the home was destroyed by fire. Currently this is the parking lot for Tops Supermarket. This house was one of the few examples of Early Classical Revival in the North Country. The mansion of a southern planter caught the eye of Pelatiah Richards and he sent a local builder to Virginia to measure the house and to create a replica in Warrensburgh. Ownership passed to Minerva King, daughter of Pelatiah and widow of Hesden King. Several generations of Kings grew up there.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail||
3836 Main Street