The Judd Bridge
The Judd Bridge crosses the Schroon River on the southeasterly side of the town. The bridge was named for Samuel Judd who owned a large tract of farm-land on the opposite hillside. The first bridge across the Schroon River was at this site. It was built by Timothy Stowe around 1820 and was a toll bridge. A new bridge was built by Joseph Goodfellow around 1893 at a cost of approximately $6,000. The bridge was repaired twice before a collapse occurred on February 22, 1923 as Ben Guiles and Walter Varnum were hauling a load of wood over the bridge. Apparently, the weight was too great for the bridge to support. Minor injuries were sustained. Walt, along with his grandfather, had the dubious honor of also going through the previous Judd Bridge. Replacement of the bridge occurred the following year with an iron structure. The Judd Bridge was replaced with a two-lane steel structure in 1996.