Address 58 Elm Street
Style enhanced vernacular
Known as Warrensburgh News office
Built for James Somerville
A non-descript, two storey vernacular building with an impressive front façade that includes neo-classical columns, a two storey porch and a Greek Revival pediment with fan light.
It was the home of Somerville who was the owner and publisher of the Warrensburgh News beginning in 1890. The paper moved to this location in 1903. Tubbs, who was the newspaper editor from 1890 to 1932, lived with his family in the second floor apartment.1
The Warrensburgh News Office
Looking south on Elm Stret can be seen a vacant lot, a stone's throw from the present park. This was the site of the tall, two-storied building, which was the third home of the Warrensburgh News - the building most closely associated with the villagers' recollections of the newspaper. It was built in 1899, by James Somerville, owner and publisher; architect was A.W. Fuller of Albany; and local contractors, H.H. and G.W. Hill, were in charge of the construction.
John L. Tubbs, editor from 1890 to 1932, moved his family into the spacious second-floor apartment and, for forty years, Mr. Tubbs and the Warrensburgh News were synonymous.
Mr. Tubbs, in addition to being the classic example of what a small-town newspaper editor should be, was a musician who gave private lessons and contributed greatly to th cultural growth of the community His daughter, Miss Louise Tubbs, wrote an excellent biography of her father which appeared in the Warrensburgh News in 1960, in several installments. It is beautifully writen - a fitting tribute to a wonderful father, editor, musician and philosopher. Miss Tubbs was music teacher in the local school for many years. She, like her father before her, was totally dedicated in her teaching and in her service to the community.