Agricultural Hotel - In 1888 Henry Ashe and his father James purchased 260 acres and a six-room boarding house built in 1836, presumably from Walter Baker, operator of the Baker House adjacent to the fairgrounds. By 1906, after making many additions and improvements, they changed the name to the Agricultural Hotel, likely because it was adjacent to the fairgrounds where the Warren County Agricultural Society held its annual fair. (The last County fair held there was in 1929.) Rumor has it that Teddy Roosevelt and his staff stayed Agricultural Hotel, c. 1890, with staff turned out. (J. Hastings collection. ) there. In October of 1922, a radiotelephone installed in the hotel allowed the citizens of Warrensburg to hear the World Series for the first time. After Maurice Ashe inherited the hotel from his father Henry, it became Ashe's Hotel. Maurice died in 1972 leaving the property to Goldy Hitchock, marking the end of an eighty-four year family ownership. In 1987, after several owners including James and Claire O'Neill, John and Bob Abbale purchased the property and it continues under their ownership. It is believed to be the longest continually operating hotel establishment in New York State.
The Paddock, a dine and dance club managed by Curtis Lansing, opened on June 15, 1938. It was situated on the old fairgrounds off Hudson Street, just east of the grandstand. The interior scheme was grey and red with a forty-six by twenty-eight foot dance floor, one of the largest in northern New York. Dining tables seating more than 200 people were placed around the dance floor. At one end of the room was a large platform for the orchestra and entertainers. From the dining room, one passed through an opening resembling a large horseshoe into a handsomely appointed bar, with indirect lighting and modern equipment. Adjoining the bar was the kitchen capable of preparing anything from a sandwich to a banquet. The grounds were landscaped with trees, shrubs and flowering plants. The opening night featured a dance band, Chet Nelson’s Music, that had just finished an engagement at the Hotel Bradford Penthouse in Boston. There were also comedy and dance acts featured in Paramount and Warner Bros. movie shorts that year. Reservations for opening night were so great that a second opening night was scheduled. Chicken and Steak dinners were $1.00 and no cover charge. In September of 1942 a benefit was held there to raise money for gifts for men in service. Among the entertainers was Imogene Coca, then a performer at Green Mansions (and later co-star with Sid Caesar in TV's Show of Shows). Later managed by Ann and Beecher Baker, an advertisement in 1947 listed square dancing every Saturday night with Art Pratt, a local fiddler and caller, and in 1957 another advertised round and square dancing with the Jughead Harris Band.