Catholic Church of St. Cecilia - Roman Catholic settlers who came to Warrensburgh to work in the mills and tanneries usually gathered in private homes to attend mass, celebrated by an itinerant priest. In 1874 Bishop McNierney sent Fr. James A. Kelly to Warrensburgh to establish a Roman Catholic Church Society. Fr. Kelly oversaw construction of a new church named for St. Cecilia, patron saint of music. The laying of the cornerstone took place on
Saint Cecilia's Catholic Church (99 Main Street) by Marie Fisher
The first Catholic church outside of Glens Falls was Saint Cecilia's built at Warrensburgh, in 1874, through the effortes of the Reverend James A. Kelly, pioneer clergyman who traveled throughout most of northern Warren County and built churches in several parishes. The cornerstone was laid on July 23, 1875; the dedication was September 5, 1877. The bell, weighting nearly 1,000 pounds, was cast in the famous Meneely Foundry, at West Troy. Until 1948, Saint Cecilia's was a mission church and part of the parish of the Church in Lake George.
In contrast to the simple, white exterior, the inside is ornate. In back of the free-standing alter is a large, stained glass window depicting Christ on the cross. To the left of the aisle, in front, is an alter to the Blessed Virgin - to the right is a stature of Saint Cecilia, patron saint. Additional accessories of religious importance are the Stations of the Cross; stained glass windows; a stature of Saint Patrick and a new, polished wood alter table of some length. The rich red carpet, lantern-type lighting, modern front door, and electronic organ are all part of the extensive renovations accomplished unde the guidance of the present priest, Reverend Vincent B. Jaracz.