Plank Road Bridge This bridge, spanning the Schroon River south of Warrensburgh, acquired its name in the 1800s when the structure was owned and maintained by the Warrensburgh-Lake George Plank Road Company. Efforts of four of Warrensburgh’s prominent businessmen - Thomas Gray, Pelatiah Richards, Joseph Woodward, and Benjamin Burhans, resulted in the laying of a plank road connecting Warrensburgh and Lake George about 1848. The plank road bridge collapsed in 1931 and was replaced with a steel bridge by NYS Department of Transportation.
Warrensburgh was known as "The Bridge" before it got its own name, because it was the site of the only bridge in the county crossing the Schroon River. That bridge, located where the current Judd Bridge is now, connected the hamlet with North Caldwell (Lake George). In the mid-1800s another bridge, built where Route 9 now crosses the river, became known as the "Plank Road Bridge" for the planked toll road between Lake George and Warrensburgh. This was a welcome improvement for haulers and stagecoaches. In 1901 a trolley bridge was built adjacent, to accommodate the trolley line between Glens Falls and Warrensburg.