In 1941, the Grand Union Market moved from its down-street location to a new self-service store at 143 Main Street in Warrensburg. (Previously the New Adirondack Garage, currently parking for Warrensburg Laundry.) An ad of the day shows prime ribs of beef for 25 cents. In 1948 the Grand Union was remodeled, introducing the “Food-O-Mat,” which permitted stocking over 1500 items from behind the shelves. In 1954 it moved to a new 6,250 square foot store on the corner of Main Street and Emerson Avenue, the largest building to be built in town since the Warrensburg Central School on James Street. In 1963 an addition brought it to 12,500 square feet. In 1979, a new building at the same site enlarged the store to 18,000 square feet. In 2000, the company went into bankruptcy and C & S Wholesale Grocers purchased this store, keeping the name Grand Union. Prior to 2006, Tops Friendly Markets purchased the business and changed the name to Tops. In 2006, Tops sold the company back to C & S and the name was changed to Grand Union Family Markets. In 2013 Grand Union stores in the area, including Warrensburg, were repurchased by Tops and the name was again changed.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail||