The Warren County Home - Shortly after it became the county’s responsibility for housing the poor, land for the Almshouse or Poor House on Horicon (now Schroon River) Road was purchased in 1826 for $1,400. A total of 200 acres was purchased, 70 acres in Warrensburgh from James Dunham and 130 acres across the river in Bolton from Halsey Rogers. The original structure was built around 1830. By 1860, the facility, a wooden building, was too small. The Warren County Board of Supervisors appropriated $2,500 to local mason Peter Buell to build a stone addition. At the time, there were 54 residents supported at a weekly expense of 90 cents each. A second addition was built in 1879 and a third in 1883. By 1884 there were about 64 residents being supported at a weekly cost of about $1.54 per person. The farm was manned by the residents, supplying most of their needs, which included potatoes, beans, buckwheat, oats, butter, cheese and pork. Over the years the self-sufficiency declined and the facility became outdated. In addition its situation on the flood plain was no longer acceptable. In 1981 a brand new 60-
County Home Bridge. According to the proceedings of the Board of Supervisors in 1862, the first bridge to connect Schroon River Road with East Schroon River Road was built prior to 1862. It was destroyed that spring by flooding, and a new "pin-and-hanger" bridge was built in 1895 by the Owego Bridge Company. It spanned 102 feet. In 1954 the floor of the bridge was completely rebuilt. In early May, 1999 a truck weighing 9 tons, three times the maximum weight limit severely damaged the structure. The bridge was fenced off and closed. After 18 months of permitting, design, financing and construction, a new structure with a 105 foot span, built by D. A. Collins Construction Company, was dedicated with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on October 23, 2000.