The Colonial Arms. In 1939 the Adirondack Hotel was acquired by Albert L. Emerson and renamed the Colonial Arms. Ten years later the famed horseshoe bar was added. Five cottages, each with two units, were built behind the hotel. Over the years, an indoor pool was installed and a separate building for bowling alleys was constructed. The Colonial Arms hosted many notables and celebrities, including the Robert F. Kennedy family and Marilyn Monroe. Emerson sold to Mark and Edna Bruce who continued the tradition of fine hospitality for both tourists and local parties and organizations. It was subsequently owned by Jack Casey. In the1970s separate fires destroyed the bowling alleys and swimming pool, and in 1977 the top two floors were destroyed. The restaurant and bar were saved and operated, first by Sal and Maria Famosi, and finally by Carmen Maciariello and Garry Grant. In 1994 they sold to a developer, at which time the building was demolished and replaced with a modern drug store chain, Rite Aid. The developer agreed to maintain some aspects of the hotel’s façade, with a central gable and reuse of the two original columns, some window parts, and the hanging lamp.
|Warrensburgh Heritage Trail||