The Trimble Hotel was located just north of the High Rock and across from the Judd Bridge. Previously it was known as the Riverside Hotel, where proprietor Powell Brace was shot and killed in 1902. Stephen Waters purchased it in 1905 and renamed it the Trimble Hotel. The Hotel was noted for its bowling alleys and matches between the uptown "Mountaineers" and the downtown "Swamp Angels." Waters sold it in 1909 and it was later known as the Bolton Hotel. William H. Kelly purchased it from Harry Bolton in 1917 and changed the name to Maple Grove Hotel, at which time it was conducted year-round as a temperance hotel. In 1920, after he died his widow sold it to C. C. Klemm of Washington, DC, who renamed it Aw-Kum-On Inn. It burned in 1926. Klemm replaced it with a restaurant and gas station.
Powell (Pettis) H. Brace (1863-1902) was the proprietor of the Riverside Hotel on lower Main Street. On April 23, 1902 he was shot and killed by John Cree-don who had become drunk and disorderly at the hotel bar. He was married at the time to Ellen M. Putnam and they had two children, Gernal (age 9) and Mina (age 10). "Pet" had a brother Richard and three sisters; Philana, Emma and Eliza. Two years later the hotel was sold to Stephen Waters who renamed it the Trimble Hotel. Creeden was sentenced to life imprisonment on September 5, 1902 but after several petitions by his friends, the sentence was commuted by Gov. Whitman in 1917.